Tuesday, December 4, 2012

SOMETHING SWEET FOR CHRISTMAS

So I decided to get creative again. With time on my hands why not? After the success of the fruit pizza I thought why not make something for Christmas, something that can be associated with Christmas? I mean oranges might be the fruit of choice but a fruit pizza doesn't quite cut it for Christmas. And then I came up with the answer: peppermint candy.

Between candy canes and the round peppermint discs we've all come to associate with Christmas, why not? What you see above is the result. Granted, it doesn't look that great from the picture but hey, I was using a cell phone to take the picture and the one with the flash actually looked less appetizing than this one does.

The best part about this is how easy it was to make and how little clean up there was afterward. The worst part is that it is so rich and sweet that one thin slice will be all you can stand at one time. LOL.

Here is what you need to make it and how it goes together. I've changed one portion of the recipe after the trial run here and I'll let you know when I get to that part.

First off all I used two and a half tubes of sugar cookie dough bought from Walmart. I mix the two of them together in my hands, squeeze them into a ball and then start to flatten that out in my hands. Using a pizza pan that I've sprayed liberally with Pam, I set this flattened dough in the center and begin to flatten it out more, pressing it to the edges as I go. Once that's done you should have what looks like a pizza crust ready to bake.

Now here is where I changed something. When I did this, I cooked the cookie half way through, 5 minutes, then took it out of the oven and covered it with white chocolate chips. I wasn't sure if the chips would burn or not. The next time around I think I would put the chips on immediately before the cookie went into the oven. Cook it for 10 minutes and then take it out. The chips should be (crossing fingers) melted enough that you can sort of spread them across the top of the cookie like icing on a cake, smoothing it out so it doesn't look like chips. Once that's done, sprinkle on the peppermint pieces. 

Here you have two options. One is to buy peppermint pieces and smash them to bits to put on. What I chose to do was to buy Andes peppermint pieces which is a mixture of white chocolate flavored with peppermint and tiny pieces in them as well. I think these worked fine. My only problem was that I didn't spread them around enough resulting in some bites that had no peppermint taste. 

Put this back in the oven and put the rack a little higher. This should allow the new chips to melt better with the heat on top. 

Take your cookie out of the oven and place on a rack to cool. The last part you can do while it's warm or after it cools. Take a tube of red frosting and make your swirls out from the center of the cookie to the edges so it looks like the peppermint discs you always got around Christmas. That's it! You're done! 

I was lucky enough that my local pizza parlor of choice, Papinos, gave me a box to put mine in. Yes a fresh box so it didn't have a pizza flavor added to it. 

As for clean up it was so incredibly simple. You throw away the wrappers for the cookie dough. You throw away the bag for the white chocolate chips. You tie up the 2nd bag of white chips (for me it took 1.5 bags). You tie up the bag of peppermint pieces. You put the cap back on the frosting. Put everything away and was your hands. You're done! How easy is that? 

I'm hoping a few of you will try this recipe and let me know how it turns out for you. Or if you come up with something else to add to it let me know. I'm more than happy to share it with everyone reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment