Saturday, December 8, 2012

ANGELS ALL AROUND

You may have noticed between this blog and the other (http://dvddigitalviews.blogspot.com/) that I love to write. It's not something I am forced to do just something I enjoy. For a while it seemed as if I couldn't stop writing poetry. Most of it is gone now, tossed aside. A few pieces remain. And then on occasion I find myself in the mood again or something pops into my head and I feel the need to write again. That happened tonight. I was thinking about the meaning of Christmas and how it seems so many have lost sight of what it really is all about. That's when this popped into my head. Lengthy? Perhaps. Then again maybe not, you decide. Enjoy and Merry Christmas to you all. And as I said before, feel free to leave comments!



ANGELS ALL AROUND

The carolers were singing
The bells were ringing too
Elvis was proclaiming
That his Christmas was blue

My mind was filled with Christmas
As I purchased every gift
Knowing when each one was opened
Spirits they would lift

From store to store I wandered
Each bargain to be found
Until I left the last one
And saw someone on the ground

He sat beneath the neon sign
Upon the sidewalk there
His clothes were very dirty
He had such grimy hair

At first I thought him grubby
Another welfare case
And then I saw something different
A smile upon his face

And in his hands he held a sign
For all that could be read
It was a simple thing to read
And this is what it said

"Too often we go round about
Forget what the season's for
We rush about searching for something
We go from store to store

"The greatest gift came long ago
Sent from up above
When God shared his son Jesus
And sent his lasting love"

I thought about the sign I read
And the man there on the ground
I started to head to the car
And then I turned around


I said "That's such a profound thing
That each of us should know
And yet I'll bet not many stop
When walking to and fro

"I bet not one has stopped to see
If you could use a hand
Perhaps my turning 'round right now
Was something that God planned"

He smiled at me, nodded his head
And gave a knowing wink
He said "Perhaps it took this sign
To make you stop and think

"So many think of presents fine
And trees and dinner too
And all forget the real reason
What God has sent to you

"He sent his son, we celebrate
The gift God gave this earth
When he sent forth his child to us
We remember Jesus birth"

I smiled back and shook his hand
He had a kindly stare
I looked down and noticed then
That his feet were bare

I reached into the bag I had
Took out a pair of shoes
I smiled again and said to him
"Merry Christmas to you"

Surprisingly the size was right
He put them on right there
He brushed his coat, pulled out a comb
And straightened out his hair

He thanked me then and turned away
I headed for my car
But started to turn 'round again
I hadn't gone that far


But when I turned he wasn't there
As if he'd never been
I wondered then if he was real
A person that I'd seen?

Upon the ground I saw the box
Of shoes I passed to him
Now wrapped in paper and ribbon
So proper and so prim

The ribbon it was golden, bright
A color that seemed rare
And the paper pattern was something new
With angel's wings everywhere

I thought about the truth of Christmas
There beneath neon light
Of shepherds who were told of love
One fateful evening night

A message brought like this one now
With light upon my face
That spoke of all we were given
By God's most holy grace

And so I'll tell you here and now
I'll stand, perhaps I'll shout
Don't forget what Christmas means
What it really is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment