Friday, November 30, 2012

SILVER LININGS

You know how people always say that every cloud has a silver lining? I've been thinking about that ever since the job loss. I mean when you're at my age facing not having a job and concerned about where you will find one you wonder just how you could find a silver lining in all of that. But the fact is they're there and you have many silver linings in your life as well. Some call them gifts from God which they indeed are. Some call them favors from God and again they're correct. I just tend to call them silver linings because it was the first thing that popped into my head. I know God understands what I mean and that I mean him no disrespect. 

So silver linings. What are they and how can you recognize them? They don't have to be huge and for the most part are actually quite small. They're those little things in life that seem to pop up out of nowhere and are beneficial to you. More often than not they're beneficial from a mental standpoint rather than say a financial one. I've had a number of them in the last few weeks.

On a trip to Indianapolis that my wife and I had to make which was for stressful reasons (I won't go into it but it didn't involve health concerns so don't worry) we were driving back on 69. As we drove along I looked to the left and saw this huge pumpkin patch. Now when I think of a pumpkin patch I think of pumpkins scattered with about anywhere from 2-4 feet between pumpkins. But this area was just a complete bright orange field. I mean these pumpkins were on top of one another and the field was just ORANGE! It was amazing to look at. Had we not been there at the time, at that moment, had I been working...we would have missed that pumpkin patch. It was a silver lining for us.

A few weeks ago I traded in some books and movies at the local Mega Replay where you exchange things like that for cash or credit. I always opt for credit as it's higher and I can always find things I'm interested in. My credit with what I had previously came to about $39. I looked and didn't find anything I was looking for, checked the newly arrived shelf and was about to leave when the display case caught my eye. That's where they put collections, valuable items or special boxed sets. I look and there I see it, THE WILD WILD WEST COMPLETE SERIES! I've been looking for this for over a year now, the last time I saw it here. At that time it was around $72. Now? $34!!! With tax I still ended up having $2 in credit left? Another silver lining. 

I came across some old gift cards I'd forgotten about. One for Granite City, a local restaurant in Ft. Wayne, had $20 on it. One for Casual Male had over $40 on it. Heck even the one for the Regal Cinema had about $2 on it. More silver linings. 

So when things look their worst remember to think back and look at the day and see if you had any silver linings in your life. It just may be enough to help get through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment